When We All Vote and Civic Nation
Civic Nation serves as a mobilization hub at the intersection of creative communications, community organizing, narrative and culture change strategies, and high-level stakeholder engagement. At Civic Nation we house some of the most innovative campaigns organizing for progress across the country, including many of the Obama Administration’s premier mobilization initiatives. We partner with some of the country’s most influential voices, and bring together a collection of leading talent with deep expertise in their individual issue area and a collective passion for civic engagement.
Co-chaired by Michelle Obama and launched in 2018, When We All Vote is a 501(c)(3) non-partisan, nonprofit on a mission to increase participation in every election and close the race and age voting gap by changing the culture around voting, harnessing grassroots energy, and through strategic partnerships to reach every American.
The Development Director will anchor Civic Nation and When We All Vote fundraising activities and provide leadership and management for day-to-day fundraising operations.
- Drive the execution of a strategic fundraising plan for all programs, focused on individual and institutional major donors.
- Collaborate with and support outside development consultants and senior staff in developing departmental strategies and donor engagement plans.
- With CEO, managing director and program directors, manage relationships with current and prospective donors.
- Provide direct support to the CEO for all aspects of his fundraising activities/responsibilities.
- Support managing directors, program directors and board members (and their staff) with their fundraising efforts.
- Develop proposals with CEO, managing director and program directors.
- Edit, finalize and drive deadlines for foundation proposals and reports, as well as proposals and reports for individual donors, programmatic partnerships, and other institutions as needed.
- Develop and oversee implementation of regular donor communications and engagement activities.
- Manage fundraising events, including donor cultivation.
- Develop and update fundraising messaging and materials.
- Continue to build department infrastructure, including donor database, gift processing, donor research, reporting, donor cultivation/engagement activities, etc.
- Manage daily activities of the development office.
- Supervise development staff.
Skills and Preferred Experience:
The Director should have experience in some, if not all of the following areas:
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in non-profit fundraising.
- Successful track record of personally identifying, cultivating and soliciting individual donors, foundations and/or corporations.
- Significant experience working with major donors, including coordinating executive outreach, ensuring appropriate follow up, and managing cultivation calendars and scheduling.
Applicants should also have:
- A strong commitment to Civic Nation and When We All Vote’s mission.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Strong project management skills.
- Working knowledge of c3 and c4 fundraising.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to craft successful development communication materials.
- Fundraising database experience preferred.
- Demonstrated success meeting fundraising goals and budgets.
- Knowledge of national philanthropic communities.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and manage own work.
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems independently, effectively and creatively.
- Ability to simultaneously juggle multiple projects while also consistently meeting goals.
- Excellent analytical, oral communication, teamwork and people skills.
- Demonstrated flexibility and openness in responding to changing work priorities.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
This position will be based in our Washington D.C. office.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid health, dental, and vision insurance; generous paid time off, access to 401k plan, and more.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line: Development Director.
Civic Nation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity among our staff and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. Civic Nation does not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.