Readout from When We All Vote’s #CouchParty 2.0
Tonight, When We All Vote hosted its second virtual #CouchParty with Co-Chairs Michelle Obama, Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson and other special guests. DJ D-Nice joined the party for the second time as a part of his Club Quarantine Instagram Live stream. During the event, volunteers and partners made it personal by reaching out directly to their friends, families and communities during their own virtual events. More details can be found here. A few highlights of the evening:
- More than 65,000 people joined the national action call with Michelle Obama, Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, Valerie Jarrett, Michelle Williams, Vanita Gupta and When We All Vote staff;
- More than 113,000 eligible voters texted, with a focus on reaching volunteers’ personal networks;
- More than 24,000 people took action by signing up to join tonight’s event;
- 7,500 people have signed When We All Vote’s pledge to join the fight for safe and fair elections;
- 3,400 people joined When We All Vote partner calls and trainings since last week; and
- 80 groups and partners including, The United State of Women and The Woman’s Missionary Society of the AME Church, all hosted their own couch parties. Ambassadors Kelly Rowland, Alyssa Milano, Elaine Welteroth, Erica Campbell and Kelly McCreary, as well as Mayors Satya Rhodes-Conway of Madison, Wisconsin and Victoria Woodards of Tacoma, WA, joined partner couch parties.
As the country’s reality continues to change in the wake of the coronavirus’ ongoing impact on individuals and communities, When We All Vote, Michelle Obama’s nonpartisan voting initiative, is committed to exploring innovative and safe ways to reach voters where they are — at home. When We All Vote recently announced its support for three voting principles: expanded access to vote-by-mail, in-person early voting and online voter registration, and will continue to work to ensure everyone can continue to participate in every election.
ABOUT When We All Vote:
When We All Vote is a national, nonpartisan, non-profit that brings together citizens, institutions, brands, and organizations to increase participation in every election. We are committed to closing the race and age voting gap and empowering all eligible voters to cast their ballot by harnessing grassroots energy, establishing strategic partnerships, and implementing digital organizing strategies.
Launched in 2018 by co-chairs Michelle Obama, Tom Hanks, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Janelle Monáe, Chris Paul, Faith Hill, and Tim McGraw, When We All Vote is changing the culture around voting using a data-driven and multifaceted approach to increase participation in elections.
In the months directly before the 2018 midterm elections, When We All Vote organized 2,500 local voter registration events across the country, engaged 200 million Americans online about the significance of voting, and texted nearly four million voters the resources to register and get out to vote.
In 2019, When We All Vote announced its new celebrity co-chairs and media partners who will help to reach people where they are and ultimately change the culture around voting.